Miro is an online tool for creating collaborative whiteboards that multiple users can edit simultaneously. Log in at miro.com using your CCAD email address. Create whiteboards and share access with your students or colleagues to brainstorm and map out ideas, and faculty can even embed boards directly on your Moodle class page.
You can get a free Miro Education license which will allow you to create up to 100 boards (the free account only gives you 3). Click here to request your educational license, it may take up to 10 days to process the request. You will be asked to provide:
Proof of employment/enrollment
Faculty, a screenshot of your faculty bio on CCAD’s website will work
Students, a screenshot of your class schedule will work
1. Click the Google logo and log in using your CCAD email
2. Across the top, create a new board by choosing one of the whiteboard templates or clicking + Blank board.If you see a message about upgrading your account, click Create board anyway.
3. You will be shown the templates again, you can either choose one or click the X at the top right to start building from scratch
Sharing your board
1. To share the board with your students or colleagues, click the blue Share button at the top right of your board and start typing their email addresses in the To: line. You can also connect Miro to your contacts by clicking invite from Gmail and choosing your CCAD email. This will allow you to type names from the directory without needing their email addresses.
Keep in mind that more than one student or colleague may have the same name, so it is important to double-check the address and make sure you’re inviting the correct student to your board.
2. Once you add addresses to the invitation you can type a message if you want and then click Send invitations.
1. You can also click the blue Share button at the top right of your board and click the Copy invite link button to copy it to your clipboard. Then, simply paste it in an email to your students or colleagues to invite them to view and edit your board.
Embed your board on Moodle
Your board is created, you’ve shared it with others, how do you embed it on your Moodle page?
1. Go to your Miro board, click the Export button at the top left and choose Embed
2. Use the toggle to enable access to others with the link to view the board. Then, click Copy to clipboard to copy the embed code.
3. Go to moodle.ccad.edu, log in and go to your class. Use the Gear at the top right to Turn editing on. Now, go to the week you want to embed the Miro board and click Edit, Edit week.
4. At the top of the Summary box, click Show/hide advanced buttons (looks like a downward arrow), then click the HTML source button
5. Paste the embed code in the Summary box where you want it to go and click Save changes
Your Miro board is now visible on your Moodle course page! Students can click and drag to view different areas of the board, view it in full screen, or click the name of the board to edit it in Miro.